Frequently Asked Questions


Q 1-5 Inspection Visits

Q 6-12 Monitor Visits / Escape of Water or Flood Claims

Q 13-17 Storage and Contents

Q 18-24 Reinstatement and Asbestos

Q 25-26 Laundry

Q 27-29 Fire Claims

Q 30-31 Private Work

  1. From your initial contact with me, how long will it before I can expect a technician at my house?

    We will always aim to be on site within 24 hours of receiving your claim from your insurance company or loss adjuster. Please let us know of any time commitments as we will always try and accommodate, even if this means very early or late appointments. In urgent situations, we will be on site within 2 hours.

  2. How long will an inspection visit take?

    Depending on the size of your claim, it may take 1 to 3 hours. We will try to prevent further damage during the inspection.

  3. What can I expect to happen during an inspection visit?

    Our technicians will form a plan regarding everything that needs to be done either by us or contractors in order to get your property back to its pre-incident condition. The technician will create an insurance report which will be sent to your insurance company or loss adjuster following their visit.

    Water Claim
    If your claim is an escape of water, the technician will remove any affected floor coverings which cannot be salvaged by drying, install drying equipment, sanitise all areas, appoint an emergency electrician if necessary and will remove any items beyond repair for disposal.

    Fire Claim
    If your claim is a fire, the technician will mitigate any secondary damage, install drying equipment if any room has been saturated by the fire services, remove any affected laundry for cleaning and remove any items beyond repair for disposal.

    Anything that is removed from the property will be listed on an inventory sheet and this will be sent to your insurance company or loss adjuster so this can be settled with you.

  4. I have already uplifted some wet carpets and disposed of items before your inspection visit. Does this matter?

    Our technician will include this on their report when they attend to let your insurance company or loss adjuster know that this is the case. If you have already uplifted any floor coverings and not disposed of them, the technician will dispose of this for you and leave you with a sample for the flooring replacement company to use. However, if we have already contacted you and booked an appointment for us to complete our inspection visit, it is best to leave and floorings down so the technician can validate this and then remove them from site.

  5. I know drying equipment is going to be installed but what happens about the electricity that it used?

    Prior to switching on any drying equipment, meter readings will be taken by the technician and then again when the equipment has been removed. We include these readings on your claims insurance report. Once all equipment has been removed, we will estimate the electricity refund that you are entitled to based on the number of hours that equipment has been installed for and how many pieces of equipment were in the property. This estimate is then sent over to your insurance company or loss adjuster to settle with you. If you are not happy with the amount that has been estimated, then you will need to come to an agreement with your insurance company or loss adjuster.

  6. After our inspection visit, when will a technician re-attend our property again?

    Depending on the circumstances of your claim, our technician will aim to re-attend within 3-5 days depending on your commitments and availability. However, if we are waiting for strip outs to be completed by a contractor then this will cause a delay in your claim as these are appointed by your insurance company or loss adjuster. There may also be a delay if we are waiting for asbestos results or if asbestos needs to be removed from the property.

  7. What can I expect to happen during a monitor visit?

    A monitor visit includes the technician taking moisture readings from all of the affected areas in your property to see if they are now below the acceptable moisture threshold. If any room is dry, then the drying equipment is then removed from that room. All moisture readings are recorded on the technician’s iPad and are uploaded onto the insurance report. If not all areas are dry, the technician will book another appointment for them to re-attend.

  8. What happens when my property is dry?

    When all of the affected areas in your property have been returned to an acceptable moisture threshold, then all drying equipment will be removed. We will then issue a certificate of dryness (also known as a handover certificate) to your insurance company or loss adjuster, so they are aware that the next stage of your claim can begin.

  9. The equipment is noisy - can I turn it off?

    Please don't! If the equipment is turned off at any point it will just prolong the drying process and incur further charges to your insurance company, which could be billed to you.

  10. I think I have a problem with one of my dehumidifiers - what do I do?

    If the dehumidifier is leaking, then call us on 01623 443109 and we will advise you on what to do and turn the dehumidifier off either at the plug or using the switch button.

  11. Following the incident, my property is no longer habitable in its current state - what do I do?

    You need to call your loss adjuster or insurance company as it is they who arrange all alternative accommodation following an incident.

  12. My property looks dry, shall I turn the equipment off?

    Please do not switch the equipment off when you think your property is dry. Properties can be very deceiving and may look dry but we need to make sure that all the material including the material below the surface is thoroughly dry so that we can issue you with a certificate of dryness. We will estimate during our inspection how long we think it will be until your property is dry, our monitor visits are based on this calculation and therefore please do not switch the equipment off, even when you think something is dry.

  13. What happens about replacing my contents which you have removed for disposal?

    The inventory sheets are sent to your insurance company or loss adjuster for settlement. They will agree with you a replacement value figure. The technicians will also take photos of any items that we remove from site, especially model numbers, etc. on electrical items.

  14. What does BER mean?

    BER stands for Beyond Economical Restoration. This means that if an item has been damaged as a result of the incident and it would cost more to restore the item than replace it.

  15.  An item of mine is BER but it is very sentimental to me and I want it restored, what should I do?

    Your Rainbow technician will ask you if any of the items which have been damaged as a result of the incident are sentimental, please tell the technician right away so we can arrange restoration of these items straight away.

  16. Where do my contents go when they are removed for storage?

    Our business operates from a large permanent storage unit and office building. We have staff members on site every day and 24 hour CCTV to ensure your contents are well looked after.

  17. Can I keep a copy of the list the technicians made of my contents that have gone to storage?

    Of course! If you're not on-site to get a carbon copy, we can email the, over to you.

  18. My insurance company has asked if I would like to accept a cash settlement for building works - what does this mean?

    Your insurance company can explain this to you, but in short, instead of the insurance company arranging the reinstatement work required as a result of the incident you receive an amount of money which will cover the damage as a direct result of the incident. It is then up to you how and when you complete the work. There are pros and cons to cash settlement we would advise you to discuss these with your insurance company before making any decisions.

  19. Rainbow dried my property and now my insurance company have cash settled me for the rest of the work - can Rainbow help me?

    Definitely. As well as drying and cleaning we also work with top quality, reliable and efficient subcontractors. We can arrange this for you at any stage of your insurance claim, or even after. Give us a call to discuss getting a quotation from one of the subcontractors.

  20. I've had a water leak and I have accepted a cash settlement from my insurance company for drying works - can Rainbow still help me?

    Of course. By accepting a cash settlement this means that you are now in control and can decide in your own time who completes the reinstatement work and when it’s completed. We can visit your property at a time that is convenient for you to discuss the required work and provide you with a quotation.

  21. Rainbow cleaned my carpet and sofa as part of my insurance claim. I'd like other carpets cleaning which were not affected or part of my claim - can this be arranged?

    Yes, we can give you a separate quote for any other work you need completing.  However, please remember that this work will have to paid by you.

  22. I think I have asbestos in my home - what should I do?

    If the area you have concerns about is intact and undamaged it is unlikely that it poses any risk however if you're concerned we can complete an inspection and even take a sample of the area in question.

  23. I don't have any home insurance - can Rainbow help me?

    Of course! Please call us on 01623 443109 and we can book an appointment for one of our technicians to attend. We will then send you a full report of our findings and quotation for the required works.

  24. A sample needs to be taken of potential asbestos containing material as part of my insurance claim - can you help?

    Depending on our agreement with your insurance company, we will be able to take a sample from the area and have the results to you within 2 working days. If the results are positive, then this will need to be either removed or encapsulated (sealed) by either us or a contractor (this also depends on our contract).

  25. You have removed some laundry from my property for cleaning - where does this go?

    If items are dry clean only they are sent to our approved subcontractors, SCI. If items can be laundered, our technicians will complete this is our unit.

  26. How long will it take for my laundry to be returned?

    This depends on the volume of items, we need authorisation before completing laundry from loss adjusters or insurers.

  27. I am unable to be at the property all of the time whilst you are completing all the cleaning on site - what do I do?

    Don't worry we will work with you regarding booking appointments around your commitments. However, some of our customers have allowed us to keep a spare key whilst we are working on site or have had a key safe fitted. If a friend or relative is able to meet us during our visits, then this will also be helpful to us.

  28. What happens once all of the cleaning has been complete in my home?

    We will let your insurance company or loss adjuster know that all areas are ready for the repairs and reinstatement works to begin, whether this be building or redecorating works.

  29. What specialist restoration can you do?

    We are able to restore wooden furniture using our French polisher. We can also restore rugs artwork, photographs, and documents. However, if you have an item, call us and we can let you know.

  30. Rainbow completed a duct clean for us, what certification is required?~

    You will require TR19 and BSEN 15780 certificates, which we keep on file until requested by you.

  31. I need work to be completed out of normal working hours - can you help?

    Yes, no problem! Just give us a call to discuss on 01623 443109 and we will always aim to accommodate the need of our client. See this blog post